I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love toblerone!!! As a child, I remember it being one of the gifts always brought home from holidays, be it family or friends, you could be sure to find one of these nougat heroes stashed in either their suitcase or that oh so lovely to look at duty-free bag because you knew exactly what was inside. I don’t know if its the milk chocolate or the nougat pieces that does it for me, but I could literally eat it until I pass out of a sugar overdose. I love how it tastes, the texture, how the chocolate melts on my tongue yet the nougat gets stuck in my teeth, and of course its iconic shape that is world known. It is now 108 years old, after being created in 1908 by two cousins in Switzerland, who probably never knew how famous it was going to be. It has literally become the holiday makers iconic gift to bring home to loved ones, no matter where in the world you may be there will always be a prism of Toblerone on view in those duty free shops reminding you of loved ones, and the fact that you better bring one home or you may get on the return flight!!!
So, to my complete and utter joy, I spotted a recipe for these chocolatey cookies on the New Ideas Website while thumbing it on Facebook. For those of you who may not know what “thumbing it” means, its a term I use when describing how my husband looks whilst on the phone- his thumb just scrolling through pointless social media sites to pass a couple of minutes, or hours, even days …I’ve lost count at this stage, but this time thumbing it was worth it for me. I tend to constantly google and search across all social media sites looking for and at all things cake!! I’m a caker……that’s what I do in my spare time!
Sunday was d-day for me to make these. Everyone was sitting in the sitting room eagerly awaiting their share of the cookies and applying massive pressure for them to be made NOW. I gathered all of my ingredients and got cracking on the recipe which was extremely easy to follow I might add. For non-bakers wanting to be brave and take the leap into baking, I reckon this one is for you. All you need is a stand mixer and it does all the work for you (if you don’t have one, pop it on your santa list, its worth a shot, sure now is the time to start dropping some hints anyway).
I like giant cookies so from this recipe I made 8. But you could probably get about 16 “normal sized” cookies. Team them up with an ice cold glass of milk and you’ve got a mean treat right there, one that’s worth the extra few syns on your slimming world week or more carbs on your macros, who ever you are, you are sure to love these and feel sin-free!!!
Recipe: Makes 8 giant cookies
50g Unsalted butter
100g Brown sugar
1 Egg beaten
100g Dark Chocolate melted
100g Plain Flour
50g Ground almonds (almond meal)
1tsp Vanilla extract
1tsp Baking powder
1tbspn Whole milk
- Take 4 whole triangles of the toblerone, cut them in half and put to one side. Then cut up the rest into small pieces to be added to the cookie dough later.
- Using the stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until smooth
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour in the melted chocolate.
- Pour in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder and allow to completely combine. Then pour in the diced up toblerone along with the milk and again allow to mix completely.
- Roll 8 balls that are the same in size and place them on a lined baking tray (you will have a fairly wet cookie dough, but once you roll it between the palms of your hand its very easy to shape and non sticky). Then using the 8 halved pieces you had to one side, place one piece in the centre of each cookie slightly pushing it into the cookie. Also don’t worry about flattening out the cookie, this will happen in the oven.
- Place them into your preheated oven at 180ºC or Gas Mark 5 for 15minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and place them on a cooling rack to cool.
- When you’re ready, enjoy with a cold glass of milk or a cup of tea which ever tickles your fancy!!!
I hope you enjoy these and let me know how you get on with making them!
Jen ♥ xx