These bad boys are like eating chocolate fluffy clouds (so my sister told me), and I think her way of describing them is on point! They’re slightly crunchy yet crumbly on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, mildly chewy and simply an all round feel good comfort treat. And do you want to know what the best part for me is?!? They’re gluten free!!
No, I am not coeliac, but I do have an intolerance to wheat, which of course is in regular baking flour, so this fact alone makes me happy. No cramps, no sluggish feeling, no bloating, but best of all after a hard days work, I can curb that chocolate sweet treat craving with one of these fluffy delights and not suffer the consequences.
When deciding to go on a gluten free diet, I spoke with a lot of people who had either made the same choice or medically have to consume gluten free foods due to their medical condition of being coeliac. A lot of them recommended Doves gluten free self raising flour to me, and so I trusted their judgement, after all they had been using it long before me. it can be found in all Tescos store, and can be purchased online here. I also googled a lot to find gluten free recipes, especially for cookies as these are a firm favourite of mine and my family as a treat, and after lots of googling and testing recipes, I finally can say I have modified and combined some different recipes to come up with my very own recipe to suit the type of cookie I enjoy.
When most people I talk to hear of gluten free, a lot of the time they presume that the food is “like cardboard”, but I can guarantee you these are anything but! I absolutely love these, so does my husband and 4 year old (yes, even she devours them). So if you fancy giving these ago, I have included the recipe below, along with the brands that I use. I am only recommending them as they are tried and tested brands for me in baking, but if you wish to use an alternative, go for it!
Recipe makes 15 large cookies
Stand mixer or electric hand whisk
Tesco non-stick baking paper (or greaseproof/parchment paper)
Flat baking trays (approx. 3)
Cup and fork
250g Doves Gluten free self raising flour
200g Gem Soft dark brown sugar
100g Tesco Real Butter
2 Medium Eggs (beaten)
35g Tesco Baking Cocoa powder
1tsp Odlums Baking powder
1tsp Odlums Bicarbonate of soda
250g of Dr Oetker White chocolate chips (or dark/plain, or why not all three to make triple chocolate cookies?) mmm another thought!!!
In my method, I used my Kenwood Stand Mixer with the paddle attachment, but they will work the same using a hand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees and line your baking trays with non stick paper.
- Using the mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- To beat the eggs, pour them into your cup and whisk with the fork until the egg whites and yellows are completely combined.
- When the butter and sugar are light and fluffy, leaving the mixer on slow speed, gradually add the eggs in little by little until completely combined and then beat on high speed for approximately 1min.
- Sieve all your dry ingredients together into the mixing bowl to combine them all together. Then sieve them again into the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed to form a thick cookie dough.
- Pour in your chocolate chips and mix in with the tablespoon. Using the spoon again, taking heaped tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough, place them onto your lined baking trays with a good distance apart from each other (6 per tray) and then bang the tray on the counter to allow the cookie dough to spread and flatten out.
- Bake them in the oven for approx. 12-15 minutes until completely cooked. A quick way of testing this is to lift the cookie off the paper. If it lifts up with ease and not stuck to the paper, they are ready to take out of the oven.
- Allow them to cool on the wire rack completely, or if you’re like me and you like your cookies warm, give them approx. 3 minutes to cool and indulge in some fluffy heaven with a nice glass of milk!!!
- You can store them in an airtight container for approx. 4-5 days.
Let me know how you got on, and leave some pics/comments below.
Have a great day!
Jen ♥ xx